Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, January 9, 2018

New Year, New Books

My goal, again, is to read 100 books for the new year. I'll be including audio books and rereads. Adult, children, or young adult themes. Sci-fi to mystery, paperback to e-book. Anything I put my eyes to counts.

The Love Letters of Abelard and Lily by Laura Creedle
4 STAR RATING
The Love Letters of Abelard and LilyThis is a modern love story between two people who aren’t neurotypical. Lily has severe ADHD and Abelard has Asperger’s. They are thrown together after a trip to the principal’s office and Lily is intrigued by Abelard. She’s never met a person who could understand her. They mostly communicate through texts. It’s a very quick read.

I read the e-book version of this novel. The chapters are very short so the book flows quickly and easily. Lily is the protagonist and the novel is from her POV only. She’s a very relatable character. I found her voice believable. I myself don’t have ADHD but it read as authentic. Abelard was an adorable love interest. I loved that he didn’t make any apologies for who he was and just dealt with life as it came. He embraced Lily and accepted her as she was. Their love was such a delight to read. I’d recommend this book to anyone looking for a teen romance based in reality.







Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur
3 STAR RATING
Milk and HoneyMilk and Honey is a collection of poems that resonated with so many people when it was first published and still continue to do so. It’s broken into four parts: the hurting, the loving, the breaking, the healing. The author puts her most intimate and heartbreaking secrets out there for an audience to hear and hopefully resonate with. The poems range from very short form to broken syntax paragraphs.

I thought I’d love this book much more than I actually did. The style of poetry didn’t hit me in the feels like I wanted. Poetry is subjective and can’t be pigeonholed into one prototype. That being said, I didn’t feel like most of the poems were poetic or flowed very well. The tone and subject spoke to me on many levels though. I could relate to what the author has been through. Some lines stuck out to me and I wanted to yell out, “PREACH!”

I don’t know if I’ll read her other work but this was a delight to read and its worth most of the hype it’s received.




No comments:

Post a Comment