Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Posthumously Published

I haven't made the time to read this past week. The only reason this book was finished was because it's an audio book and I could just zone out and listen. This book is part of the Book Riot challenge of 2018. This challenge was to read a book that had been published posthumously. I never read this book for school and it's such a well known book that I figured I was destined to read it.

Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank, read by Selma Blair
3 STAR RATING
The Diary of a Young GirlDiary of a Young Girl is a real life diary by Anne Frank who lived during World War II. She lived in a hidden annex of an office building with her family and 4 other people on the run. They lived there for over 2 years before being discovered and arrested. Anne’s father was the only one to survive. He published his daughter’s diary for the world to read. It’s an intimate and blunt piece of work.

Anne did write her diary hoping that it would be published and read one day. She even went back and added notes to previous diary entries. I found her words to be almost poetic in tone. She had a very mature voice for her age. I could relate to her feelings. The dire situation made them even more intense. It was literally life or death if they were found out. The uncertainty of how her life ended can be an upset. After reading her private thoughts from age 12-15, you wanna know how it ends. But real life doesn’t wrap things up in a neat little bow. This was war and people died with no record of it. Anne Frank was one of them.

I listened to the “definitive” version of the audio book. Selma Blair read for it. Her voice was so smooth and low that it lulled me to sleep several times. I do think a more lively performance would have worked better.



No comments:

Post a Comment