Powered By Blogger

Monday, October 27, 2014

Sad love story

I was planning on reading this book when it first came out. I kept pushing it to the bottom of my reading list for reasons that made sense to me at the time. Finally, here I am, feeling like I should have read this when I first had the chance. I think it's one of the best historical fiction books ever written. To be fair, I haven't read many of those but I'm sure anyone that reads this book will agree.

Mrs. Poe by Lynn Cullen
A fictitious tale of the doomed romance between Edgar Allan Poe and Frances Osgood
4 STAR RATING

It might have taken me a while to read this book but I enjoyed every minute of it. I took my time so that the building attraction between Poe and Osgood felt genuine. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time, wondering what was going to happen to the lovers, knowing it was not going to end well. I knew nothing about Poe's personal life before reading this book and I think that was to my advantage. I felt that this story was true. I don't really care how it really went down, this is what I'll choose to believe about Poe's epic and tragic love life. I will say that none of the characters were very likable. Every one seemed to have selfish and destructive tendencies. It was hard to find a "hero" or "heroine" of the story. I'll just go ahead and say that love was the protagonist. It was also the villain. 

The author's note is a must read after finishing this novel. It makes the story even more devastating.

Mrs. Poe

No comments:

Post a Comment