Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Hiatus

I've been so forgetful with this blog. Here's everything I've read these past two weeks. Fair warning, IT IS A LOT OF BOOK COMING YOUR WAY!

The Serpent's Shadow by Rick Riordan
The final book of the Kane Chronicles
2 STAR RATING

Here we are, at the end of the road. And I am super annoyed that I didn't like this finale. It wasn't the plot, the supporting characters, or the Egyptian motif. It was the kids, Sadie and Carter. They were the dullest protagonists ever. I imagined a nasally voice throughout the whole novel for both siblings. I just couldn't with them. If only the novel had been told from Anubis' or Zia's POV. They were the saving grace of these books. And the gods were all amazing. But the two people you're supposed to care about were lackluster. Oh, well. Hopefully I'll have better luck next time.

Half Wild by Sally Green
The second book of the Half Bad trilogy
5 STAR RATING
A NEW FAVORITE

OMG YES! I've just had a reading orgasm and I am still feeling the aftershocks. This book...this series...this author. I just can't describe how awesome all three are. This picks up with Nathan dealing with his Gift, reuniting with old friends and foes, and dealing with the ultimate loss at the very end. And what an ending it was. Those last two pages had me squealing like a pig with excitement. I was definitely fan-girling at work while reading this. I cannot believe that I have to wait for the final book. I wish all three had been published all at once so I wouldn't have a gap in-between each novel. But such is life, to be left with such a situation.

Lover Awakened by J.R. Ward
The third book of the Black Dagger Brotherhood series
5 STAR RATING
REREAD/OLD TIME FAVORITE

I was in the mood for some good paranormal romance so I had to go back to an old favorite. Zsadist is by far the most difficult brother in the series but his story is by far the best. I mean, he's the bad boy that learned to love. What's not to love about that?

Lover Revealed by J.R. Ward
The fourth book of the Black Dagger Brotherhood series
4 STAR RATING
REREAD

I just love the early novels of this series. I loved all of the original brothers and the loves of their lives. I was especially happy to see a book with Marissa coming into her own. Ward teased this relationship mercilessly from the very first book and the pay off was definitely worth it.

The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater
The second book of the Raven Cycle series
3 STAR RATING

I wasn't that into the story this time around. I found myself heavily skimming until I came upon the interesting bits. Every chapter with Ronan was on point. I'm glad he was the focus of this novel. I was so annoyed with Adam. It was clear from the start that I wouldn't really be cheering for him and this book hit that nail on the head repeatedly. Noah was just as cute and scarce as ever. I want more of him in the plot. Gansey and Blue are doomed but I freaking love them together. I can't wait to see how that tragedy is going to play out. So here's to the Raven boys and here's hoping that the third book is better than this one.

I Was Here by Gayle Forman
Cody must figure out why her best friend committed suicide in this young adult novel
2 STAR RATING

I wish I liked this book more but I just couldn't. I already knew where the story was headed so I had no anticipation to read it all the way through. The only reason I finished is because it's a book club read. The main characters were all plain. The most interesting person was Harry and he's barely in the book. Cody was too whiny to like and Ben was uninteresting. The fact that they SPOILER fell in love SPOILER  was unnecessary and a bit weird. I just couldn't bring myself to cheer for them. I'm just glad that I made it all the way through and that I am now done.

The Shadows by J.R. Ward
The thirteenth novel of the Black Dagger Brotherhood series
4 STAR RATING

And we're back! This book reminded me of how much I loved this series when it first started. The love story was achingly beautiful and that ending just about killed me. I mean, DAMN. I like my romances to have happy ending but this one is totally bittersweet. I cannot wait to read the next book and the new spin off series. I have faith that these books are out of their slump and are going to get better from here.

Frostfire by Amanda Hocking
The first novel of the Kanin chronicles, an older young adult fantasy novel
3 STAR RATING

This is totally not what I expected. I was figuring that this was a cookie cutter young adult fantasy novel. Instead, I read a new adult fantasy that was unique and refreshing. The writing was definitely a little rough but the world building was solid. I was disappointed in the ending. It was too abrupt and lacking suspense. Despite that, I'll definitely be reading the second book. I'm hoping for a winner.


The Serpent's Shadow (Kane Chronicles, #3)Half Wild (The Half Bad Trilogy, #2)Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #3)Lover Revealed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #4)

The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2)I Was HereThe Shadows (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #13)Frostfire

       

No comments:

Post a Comment