Powered By Blogger

Thursday, August 17, 2017

END of Summer Reading 2017

It's come and gone and every public library can take a deep sigh of relief. Summer Reading is finally over and I don't have to worry about entering all my entry forms online. Now all I have to do is sit back and wait to see if I won.

Flyy Girl by Omar Tyree 
3 STAR RATING

Flyy Girl (Flyy Girl, #1)I remember completely relating with Tracy. She seemed just as confused and lost about boys as I was. I thought she was such a great character for a young black girl to read about and see herself in. I still think this is a great urban classic but Tracy isn't really the best role model. I found her to be irksome and stupid in my second reading. This book is very dated with the slang and descriptions of wardrobe but it does an amazing job of showing that nothing really changes. A coming of age tale is relevant no matter the era.













The Whole30 by Melissa Hartwig
5 STAR RATING

The Whole30: The 30-Day Guide to Total Health and Food FreedomI heard about this lifestyle change through the grapevine and I decided to check it out. It's a very interesting read and after studying it for the past three weeks, I've decided to complete it. My start date isn't until October because of upcoming vacations but I've already invested in some new pots and pans. I'm going to be cooking like crazy. I am very excited to see how this will impact my life. I wonder what I will miss and what I won't. I will say this; the very first item I'll be reintroducing to my diet will be red wine.











The Girls by Emma Cline
1 STAR RATING

The Girls
I felt like this book was trying too hard. I found Evie's relationship with Suzanne to be very interesting but the book buried it under metaphors, similes, and adjectives galore. Every thing that the author could describe, she did. It made the listening experience tedious. The voice actor used a breathy voice and it annoyed me so much. I hated to hear her speak character's dialogue. Her narration wasn't as bad. This book could have been better executed but there's nothing to do about it now. I can only hope that her next novel tones it down with the exaggerated style of writing.















Soul Eater, Vol. 10 (Soul Eater, #10)
Soul Eater Vol 10 by Atsushi Ohkubo
4 STAR RATING

Do I really believe BJ has been murdered? I don't want to. He was a great new addition to the story and I liked his interactions with Marie. I wanted them to get back together. I have no idea what's going on with Black Star but seeing him get his ass kicked was much appreciated. He's becoming my least favorite character.








Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie
5 STAR RATING

Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10)
And now I see why this is a classic. Dan Stevens does an excellent job of bringing this novel to life. His voices for each character weren't muddled or forgettable. He makes sure you know exactly who's talking and listening for every little detail. Detective Poirot is a completely engaging protagonist. He's smart, quick witted, and likable. The ending had me clenching my fists in eagerness to find out who killed Ratchett on the train. It was a satisfying conclusion and has me heavily considering reading the entire Hercule Poirot series. 














The Regulars by Georgia Clark
2 STAR RATING

The Regulars
I really wanted to like this book. I was in the mood for a lighthearted read, something funny and quick to read through. This book felt like I was getting a lobotomy. It was just so boring. I didn't like any of the protagonists and didn't care about any of their issues. The style of writing and plot progression felt very juvenile. I've been told this is a great beach book but if I was reading it on a beach, I'd be tempted to throw it into the water. This is the author's first adult novel and I feel like it shows. I won't be looking for her other work but am hopeful that her next adult novel will build on her talents and have the right tone that she's looking for.




No comments:

Post a Comment