Powered By Blogger

Monday, November 17, 2014

Unexpected plot twist

I just love when a book throws me for a loop. I did not see the twist coming in the first book I'm reviewing. I was totally blindsided. The second book I read this weekend was just awful. It's a case of a good series ending on an extremely bad note.

Fire with Fire by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian
The second book in the Burn for Burn trilogy
5 STAR RATING

The story itself was great. I loved revisiting these characters and I was happy to see that they were still up to no good. I had read the first book of this series a while ago and was hazy on the events that took place. Fortunately for me, all previous plot points are touched on in this book so I was completely caught up. It was your typical high school revenge plot until the last 20 pages or so. Then shit hit the fan, my mind melted, and nothing was what it seemed. I mean, DAMN! I really did not see that plot twist coming. It was handled so beautifully. But it also made perfect sense. I wasn't just attached onto the end for shock value. It flowed right into the story. Now all I can do is wait for the third book to come in from the library. I just know that it's gonna be a bloodbath.  


Take Me On by Katie McGarry
The fourth and final book in the Pushing the Limits series
2 STAR RATING

This book was...not good. It was deja vu all over again with the second book in this series, Dare You To. I wasn't interested in the drama, concerned about the characters, or relieved when everything was resolved. I was just not into it. I hate to end this series on such a sour note but it is what it is. Hopefully with the new series McGarry is writing, I'll fall in love with her books all over again, just like I did with Pushing the Limits.

Again, it's a hit or miss with these series I read. Now I'm off to read a stand alone novel. I know! I'm breaking all the rules :)



Fire with Fire (Burn for Burn, #2)Take Me On (Pushing the Limits, #4)

No comments:

Post a Comment