Powered By Blogger

Monday, September 14, 2015

Mediocre books

In the past two weeks, I've only read ONE BOOK that had more than a 3 star rating. That just kills me because I hate reading "okay" books. I went though most of these books in a day because they had no substance to them. They were quick, easy reads that mostly failed to fully impress me.

Your Face in Mine by Jess Row
 A Baltimore based novel about cultural and racial alienation
1 STAR RATING

Seeing as I didn't read this book all the way through, fully comprehend it, or had any interest in it, I'd like to say that my rating is completely invalid. I heavily skimmed this novel and I'm not even sure how it ended. I think Kelly got the operation done as well but I was not paying attention at this point. The writing style was annoying. It all rambled together. I had no idea who was talking when or what about. The characters were all boring and I couldn't wait to finish such a drag of a book. The only redeeming parts were the descriptions of Baltimore. It was fun knowing exactly where the characters were int he story. Other than that, this goes in the loser pile of book club reads for me. 

On the Job: Volume One by K.D. Grace, Rachael Kramer Bussel, Izzy French
A short story collection about on the job quickies
3 STAR RATING

Quick and easy smut. I read these short stories in about 30 mins. I wish they were a bit more drawn out but I still enjoyed them. It makes me wanna have a quickie at work (not really but it brings up questions like where I'd do it and how I could sneak away for about 20 mins.)

Blackbird by Abigail Graham
The first book of the Stepbrother Romance series
3  STAR RATING

I found Eve a bit too annoying to give this book four stars. The male love interest, Victor, was a winner from the very first page. His determination was hot. I was surprised with how dramatic the story was. It could almost be a murder/mystery if it wanted to be. Either way, it's started an obsession for reading Abigail Graham novels.

Mockingbird by Abigail Graham
The second book of the Stepbrother Romance series
4 STAR RATING

This was the best one of the series. The innocent young woman meets and falls for the boy from the wrong side of the tracks. That's a great recipe for an erotic romance. It was funny, sweet, and somewhat believable. This could have easily been broken up into two parts. I'd have read a novel about Apollo's life before he met Diana.

Hawk by Abigail Graham
The third novel of the Stepbrother Romance series
2 STAR RATING

After the binge I had of her first two books of the series, this one failed to impress me. The writing had stretched thin, the love scenes were lukewarm, and the "wash rinse repeat" story line fell flat. Hawk didn't seem like the kind of guy I'd swoon over so I just found him annoying. Either way, as a whole, I enjoyed this series. It was the perfect mini vacation read.

Grey by E.L. James
A retelling of FSoG told from Christian's POV
3 STAR RATING

This book was way too long but since I skimmed most of it, I was able to read it in 2 days. It's was great to see FSoG from Christian's POV. He's just as domineering and insane as I thought him to be. With that being said, I did find some of the sex scenes even hotter from his perspective. And now that I've seen the movie, I had those actors stuck in my head while picturing this novel. That happened to work in my favor since I find Jamie Dornan extremely attractive. If you're a fan of the original trilogy, then you'll love this book. If not, then I'm sure you weren't planning on reading this obvious cash cow anyway.

Charlotte's Web by E.B. White
The classic children's book about the friendship between a pig and a spider
2 STAR RATING

I can see why I loved this book so much as a child. It's heartfelt and sweet and easy to read. But that nostalgia has worn off tremendously and I'm thinking that this book is full of characters that aren't so likable. And since I now know where bacon comes from, I can't help but think that the family would be better off killing Wilbur and eating some good food. But since animals talk in this story, that would be inhumane. It's a cute and sad story for young kids but I probably won't be puling this off my bookshelf to read to my child in the future.

Deadman Wonderland Vol 7 by Jinsei Kataoka
The 7th collection of the graphic novel series
3 STAR RATING

This series is just great. I'm never bored when I'm reading these books. I'm getting more and more excited when they introduce new characters. These perfect ninben are not to be messed with. I can't wait to see them in action.

Soul Eater Vol 2 by Atsushi Ohkubo
Soul and Maka must face off against the crazy Dr. Franken Stein
3 STAR RATING

These weapon meisters are hilarious, especially Death the Kid. I think he may be my new graphic novel character of all time.


Your Face in MineOn the Job: Volume OneBlackbird (A Stepbrother Romance, #1)Mockingbird (A Stepbrother Romance, #2)Hawk (A Stepbrother Romance, #3)Grey (Fifty Shades, #4)Charlotte's WebDeadman Wonderland Volume 7 (Deadman Wonderland, #7)Soul Eater, Vol. 02 (Soul Eater, #2)

No comments:

Post a Comment