Powered By Blogger

Monday, November 9, 2015

Back to life

I have been dragging my feet with reading lately. My last post was bare and despondent. This one finds me in higher hopes. I've read some really good books in the past month and I'm optimistic that I'll finish this year on a good note.

The Woman He Loved Before by Deborah Koomson
Libby must decide if she should figure out the mysterious death of her husband's old wife
4 STAR RATING
BOOK CLUB 

I will never be cramming a book club read in the night before ever again. I really liked this book but towards the end I was skimming like hell just to finish it. You have good, solid characters with an intriguing plot. It surprisingly turns into a bit of a murder mystery. That was definitely the best part of the story. The flashbacks to Eve's diary are both depressing and uplifting. Even knowing how the story ends for her, you can't help but think she's going to get her happy ending. The characters were a bit annoying but I understood most of their actions. Everything came together for an explosive conclusion and I was extremely pleased. 

The 100: Day 21 by Kass Morgan
The second novel of The 100 series
3 STAR RATING

This one had way better story arcs than the first novel. This book is a big ol' "but". The character development was still sketchy but the main characters were a bit more fleshed out. The romance was melodramatic and annoying as ever but it makes more sense to me. It was good but was still lacking. At least it's superior to the show adaptation.

Sweet Dreams by L. Divine
The 17th young adult novel of the Drama High series
2 STAR RATING

This series is in desperate need of a makeover. Ever since the author has been self publishing, the story arc has been dodgy. The characters have all turned one dimensional and the writing has diminished in skill. I don't even care what happens in the story anymore but I'm stuck in a feeling of obligation to continue. This used to be one of my all time favorite African-American young adult series to read and recommend to others. Now I don't want this on anyone's radar because they'll just end up disappointed like me.

The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh
Shahrzad must save herself from her king that slays a new wife every sun rise
3 STAR RATING
BOOK CLUB

Oh, this book was just boring. It had the potential to be so much more. The characters, the plot, the setting. It had the recipe for success. But I was annoyed with the married couple. Shazi and Khalid were stupid once they fell in love. Shazi becomes predictable and dependent. Khalid becomes reckless and moronic. I just couldn't bring myself to like them. And the author completely dropped the ball with the curse. It's like she forgot that was the focus point of the book. But I was entertained in some parts so that's why this book gets 3 stars instead of 2.

Hawkeye Vol 4: Rio Bravo by Matt Fraction
The final Hawkeye story from Fraction and Aja
2 STAR RATING

With each new collection of comics, my love for this series wanes. It started out so strong but this one is just a confusing mess. It's been a while since I read the third book so I was mostly lost during this whole thing. I didn't know what was going on and didn't care to find out. The only saving grace was the final showdown been the Bro gang and Hawkeye. Now that was all kinds of awesome. I just can't help but be disappointed in the last book from Fraction. Hopefully the new Hawkeye series will jump start my interest again. 

Attack on Tian Vol 15 by Hijime Isayama
The survery corps is in danger of being disbanded and still must find Historia and Eren
3 STAR RATING

Come on, you can't just leave it on that flashback. I need answers, dammit. I haven't seen or heard from Historia and Eren the whole book when I get hit with the B.S. I swear, that girl better be playing the role of secret agent. Because if she turned on Eren, there will be hell to pay.

Deadman Wonderland Vol 8 by Jinsei Kataoka
The 8th installment of the Deadman Wonderland series
4 STAR RATING

How could you do this to me? They finally, FINALLY, proclaim their love for each other and then you "kill" her to bring back the Wretched Egg?!?!?!?! My emotions are real and they are fragile. And then no library in the state of Maryland has the next book in the series. Like, what the actual fuck? Is everyone in on the joke to torment me? Because it's working.

The Hired Girl by Laura Amy Schlitz
Joan runs away from her broken home to Baltimore for a better life
4 STAR RATING

This book completely took me by surprise. I only picked it up to skim through to see if I would reorder it again from the library. What I ended up doing was reading the whole damn book in one day. I'm usually uninterested in historical fiction but since it was set in Baltimore, I thought I'd give it a try. It's a coming of age story about an unloved, unappreciated teenager that feels like she's destined for greater things. The way she writes in her diary is not entirely authentic. I've yet to come across a novel that truly feels like a diary. But I loved the attention to detail and how Joan described everything that happened to her.

The Woman He Loved BeforeDay 21 (The Hundred, #2)Sweet Dreams (Drama High #17)The Wrath and the Dawn (The Wrath and the Dawn, #1)Hawkeye, Vol. 4: Rio BravoAttack on Titan, Vol. 15 (Attack on Titan, #15)Deadman Wonderland, Vol. 8The Hired Girl





No comments:

Post a Comment