Powered By Blogger

Thursday, April 21, 2016

Fantasy and Contemporary

I usually lean heavily towards fantasy/sci-fi novels. I love to read about things that are otherworldly. It helps me escape from my sometimes boring, stressful life. But in the past few weeks, I've been craving regular old fiction. I failed to satisfy that craving though, having only read two non fantasy books. And one of them was a reread. I still hold out hope that someday soon, I'll read a great novel based in real life. Whether it be adult, young adult, or children based.

Gangsta., Vol. 1Gangsta Vol 1 by Kohske
4 STAR RATING

Hello, new obsession. The high point of this novel is definitely the art. Just Nic's face alone is enough to have me read the entire series. Every character stands out on their own but are still able to play well together. I would love to have more back story in the next book. I am interested in seeing more from Worick's dark past.



Family of LiesFamily of Lies by Mary Monroe
BOOK CLUB READ
1 STAR RATING

I think I knew deep down that I was not going to like this book. I rarely read AF-AM and from what I've heard, Mary Monroe is not my cup of tea. This is the only book I've read by her and one is definitely enough. The dialogue, the characters, the plot; everything was just awful. I hated every person and every thing that they did. I wish I had left this book club pick unread.


The Shadow Queen (Ravenspire, #1)The Shadow Queen by C.J. Redwine
First novel of the Ravenspire series
BOOK CLUB READ
3 STAR RATING

This was so close to getting the dreaded DNF. I found myself extremely annoyed with almost every character. The only chapter POV I was enjoying was the evil queen's. Every one else was whiny and stupid. But the action kept my attention. The ending was satisfying. Just enough action to get the blood pumping. I just hope that the next book learns from this one's mistakes.


Blood Kiss (Black Dagger Legacy, #1)Blood Kiss by J.R. Ward
First novel of the Black Dagger Legacy series
4 STAR RATING

Thank the romance gods that this book was great. Ward had me worried for a second there with a few of her BDB novels. I felt she had lost what made the series great in the first place. But she's definitely found her footing again and came back full force with this spin off. The characters, old and new, seem like a breath of fresh air to me. The only fault I have is when a character says, "Aaaaaaaaaand..." I don't understand why this is incorporated into the inner dialogue now. The internet lingo is one thing but I get super annoyed at the drawn out words for emphasis.


Lessons From A Younger LoverLessons From a Younger Lover by Zuri Day
BOOK CLUB READ
REREAD
3 STAR RATING

I had originally gave this book 4 stars but I'm knocking off one because this book is a tad bit ridiculous. I still loved the melodrama and characters but it's just too much. It makes me question whether I'll like other Zuri Day books as much as I used to. Either way, this way a fun romance read and I was more than happy to reread it for book club. I couldn't get a good image of Ransom in my head but I had no problems connecting with Gwen. She's a likable protagonist and I'm glad she got her happy ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment