Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

A Book Club Miracle

March marks the first month, in a really really long time, that I read every book club read assigned to me. I'm a part of three different clubs, two online and one in person. I always find it difficult to read all of the books because I read so much other personal picks on my own. But I finally did it. I can only hope to continue the streak in April.


Forgotten Sins (Sin Brothers, #1)Forgotten Sins by Rebecca Zanetti
2 STAR RATING
BOOK CLUB READ


This was just a sad horrible attempt at a thriller romance. I felt no chemistry between Shane and Josie. I found them to be equally annoying and hard to root for. The fact that Josie kept saying she was AFRAID of Shane turned me off completely. Why would that make me hot and bothered, to think about this woman worrying if she'll get hurt by the man she loves? The saving grace of this novel was the appearance of Shane's brothers. I really liked them a lot, although I'm sure they have even more issues than their little brother. Too bad I'm not interested enough to read the second book in the series. I've had my fill.  


A Thousand Nights
A Thousand Nights by E.K. Johnston
4 STAR RATING
BOOK CLUB READ


I have found a rarity in the YA novel universe. A fantasy teen novel without a love triangle or any love interest at all that wraps up in a neat little bow at the end. No sequels, no waiting, no angst! I will admit that the beginning was boring and stiff. I had recently read a retelling of this old folk tale and wasn't keen on reading another. But our heroine, who I'm pretty sure is never named, won me over with her wit and restraint. The villain gets his own mini chapters which were very well written and exciting. I wish he had more of a voice in the book but it definitely doesn't lack because of it. I'm glad I gave this book a chance because it is easily one of the best I've read this year.




                                     Soul Eater Vol 6 by Atsushi Ohkubo
Soul Eater, Vol. 06 (Soul Eater, #6)3 STAR RATING

The Kinshin battle at the end wasn't as epic as I was hoping but I'm confidant he'll be back and creating madness. The best part of this volume was Maka fighting against the black blood or whatever was making her crazy. The little souls of her and Croana were so darn cute. I wanna see more of that.




Attack on Titan, Vol. 17 (Attack on Titan, #17)

Attack on Titan Vol 17 by Hajime Isayama
3 STAR RATING
This was a slower volume but it makes sense to take a breather after all the craziness of the last book. Eren and Historia have good chemistry and I hope it blossoms into a romance. This story could use a light-hearted love story. The ending with the monkey titan was great. Anytime he shows up, I shout with joy.






No comments:

Post a Comment