Powered By Blogger

Saturday, May 7, 2016

May Flowers

I have found my stride again with fining books to read and wanting to actually finish them. I was feeling discouraged that I would be in this rut until summer but I've read a few good books that gave me hope. They weren't life changing or core shaking but I still enjoyed them.


The Forbidden WishThe Forbidden Wish by Jessica Khoury
BOOK CLUB READ

Such an easy read. The characters were a bit stiff and predictable but I liked them all the same. The final fight scene was awesome. I'm glad that this is a stand alone novel. I am always happy and impressed when an author feels confidant enough to complete a story start to finish in one shot. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a YA romance with a kick.




If You Were My ManIf You Were My Man by Francis Ray
Last novel of the Invincible Women series

This book became stupid very quickly. I was feeling the chemistry between Nat and Rafael but the conflict that drove them apart was completely dumb. I'm not looking for a grand twist with my romances but I appreciate a little bit of thought. This seemed forced and directionless. The saving grace of the novel was the relationship with Clarice and Jake. I would have loved the book more if it was told from their POVs only.




The Bitten (Vampire Huntress Legend, #4)The Bitten by L.A. Banks
The fourth novel of the Vampire Huntress Legend series
BOOK CLUB READ

I feel like these books go on for too long. There are so many unnecessary scenes and dialogue between characters. It has the awful effect of pulling me out of the book and losing my interest. But I still absolutely loved everything that went down in the Aussie's mansion. The tension was delicious. After that, the book lost me. I mostly skimmed so I'm confused on what actually happened at the end.


Deadman Wonderland, Vol. 13 (Deadman Wonderland, #13)Deadman Wonderland by Jinsei Kataoka
The last volume of the series

It's finally over. The last volume has been consumed and it left me feeling giddy. After everything that these deadmen have gone through, they came out on the other side with lives to live and happiness that is well deserved. I was most nervous about what would become of Ganta and Shiro. My bet was that they were gonna kill each other. Thankfully I was wrong. It wasn't what I would have expected but their conclusion made a lot of sense and was so darn sweet. I would have been happy enough just to look at the cover instead of reading the book though. It's gorgeous.


The Winter GirlThe Winter Girl by Matt Marinovich

What a strange little book. It was a very disturbing read. Every character was god awful, even worse than everyone in The Girl on the Train. I know two stars seem like a bad review but I did have moments of entertainment reading this novel. It was just buried under an avalanche of WTF am I reading. The story is sadistic and I honestly have no idea if the author had a hidden message he was trying to convey or if this was just a story stuck in his head that he just had to get out. Either way, this novel left a bad taste in my mouth and I'm just glad it wasn't any longer than 200+ pages.
Don't Go To Sleep! (Goosebumps, #54)


Don't Go to Sleep by R.L. Stine
The 54th book of the original Goosebumps series

This was a good one. The plot was just interesting enough to keep my attention to finish this in one sitting. The reality police almost lost me though. And I still will never understand why the protagonist's family has to be borderline psycho. It seriously upsets me.

No comments:

Post a Comment