Powered By Blogger

Saturday, June 4, 2016

Reading Challenge 2016 #5

This is the one I've been dreading to do. I really don't like listening to audio books. The only ones I ever remember enjoying were the harry Potter novels. Other than that, I would find myself drifting off to sleep with boredom. I guess it's because the narrator just didn't do it for me. And the pacing would drag on and on. My friend, on the other hand, does not reject this form of reading as I do. He often listens to books while driving, which is something I don't do. He says it can help with a long drive, helping you zone out on the boredom of being stuck in a car. I'll just take his word for it.

Kiss the Girls by James Patterson (her)

21483866And with that, I'm done with the Alex Cross series. The novels are decently written and the suspense is definitely there. But I just don't connect to the story or characters in any way. I found myself lacking sympathy for the people being tortured, raped, or murdered in this book. That might say something to me being a secret sociopath or Patterson's lack of empathy towards his own characters. Another thing, I cannot get the image of Morgan Freeman as Cross out of my head. So when the romantic scenes play out, it's hilarious to read. The last nail in the coffin was listening to the novel as an audio book. I am not a fan of them so I was already out of my element. The voice actor was okay but didn't fit my auditory image of Alex Cross. It didn't sound like a black man, which isn't a fair comparison because the actor is not black. Either way, listening or reading, I'm done with                                                                                                                          these mysteries/thrillers.




Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (him)
Ready Player One
I agree with most reviews I have read about Ready Player One. To recap, a near disturbingly large amount of 1980s references creates an obnoxiously slow start. The upside is that when the action finally occurs, it feels like an award for patience and adds another layer of pleasure to the read.

Add to that snippets from your favorite review of this book and you just about have my thoughts.

With that said I will use the rest of this review to share a thought, rather a public statement of appreciation. I was referred to the audio version of Ready Player One as entertainment for a long distance drive. I must admit, I probably would not have picked it up on my own, or if I had, finished it in book form (see obnoxiously slow start). But the resulting pleasure I got from listening to it reminded me of how fortunate I am to have someone who is not only an avid reader but also has the savoir faire to pair books with persons and activity, like wine with food (or she just got lucky). Whatever the case, I appreciate this blogger's enhancement of my literary life and encourage everyone to recognized such a person who you may have the rare fortune to have in your life. 









No comments:

Post a Comment