Powered By Blogger

Saturday, August 20, 2016

End of Summer Reading 2016

I tried to push through and go out with a bang for the summer reading program. But I barely sprinted over the finish line. I'm glad that I read a good amount of books though. This was a decent summer of reading for me. There are still a few weeks left until fall so I'll keep my summer vibes as long as I can.

Blueberry Girl by Neil Gaiman
A children's picture book about uniqueness
NEW FAVORITE
5 STAR RATING

Blueberry GirlThis book should definitely be read to and for every young girl. I'm an adult and it resonated with me. We are all the blueberry girl and we all are destined for more. This book says never settle, and I plan on taking its advice.








ABC's Around Baltimore City by Adrienne Canull
A picture book giving a tour of the city
4 STAR RATING

ABC's Around Baltimore City#1: It's about Baltimore.
#2: The author/illustrator teaches at my old elementary school.
#3: For L, it has the library which is where I work.

That's a knock out for me lol. Though the letters do get a little repetitive, it's still a great children's book for anyone living in Baltimore.






Tell Us Something True by Dana Reinhardt
A young adult novel about a boy who is trying to start over after a breakup
4 STAR RATING

Tell Us Something True
This was such a quick fun read. I immediately felt a connection to River, the main character. There is something to be said about feeling bad for him even when he's lying constantly. He manages to still be relatable despite his flaws. I also like that this novel doesn't have a Hollywood ending. Nothing is wrapped up in a neat little bow but I was satisfied. I had my doubts with reading this. I have a love/hate relationship with the author. But this one hit it out of the park.









Just My Type: Understanding Personality Profiles by Michael J. Rosen
A nonfiction book about the history on personality tests
3 STAR RATING

Just My Type: Understanding Personality Profiles

I had thought this book would be filled with personality quizzes. And though there are a few examples of some sprinkled throughout, this is mostly a history lesson on the fascination of such quizzes. It's definitely a fad that will never pass, since people love to learn something new about themselves. I didn't realize that places of business actually use these tests to help determine who they will hire. That seems a bit juvenile. They should be used only in a fun lighthearted way. Even if the history behind them is more serious.









Saga, Volume 5Saga Vol 5 by Brian K Vaughn
5th collection of comics
4 STAR RATING

I was totally lost with where the story was since it had been more than a year since I'd last read volume 4. But I quickly got back into the swing of things. This series is just as awesome as I remembered it to be. I don't know which I enjoy more, the writing or the visuals. I was not expecting two characters to be killed off but I love that the author is not afraid of letting someone get eaten in half. And this is a character I liked. I'm a bit upset that the main family won't be reunited for some years, as said by Hazel. But I'll definitely enjoy the madness that will surely lead up to it.








Mr. Loverman by Bernardine Evaristo
An elderly man decides to come out to his family after 45 years of living in the closet
BOOK CLUB READ
3 STAR RATING

Mr LovermanSo I had high hopes for this book. After book club, everyone sang praises for this novel. And...I liked it. Definitely didn't love it. To me, the only truly likable character was Morris. He was the shining beacon of hope throughout the whole story. Everyone else was just plain selfish. I did enjoy the back and forth POVs, though Carmel's was hard to focus on. And Barry's was overly detailed. But that's to be expected from a literary lover like he was. I would recommend this to anyone who wants a story where nothing really happens but has well developed characters.






















No comments:

Post a Comment