Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Try and try again

Today is better that yesterday. I am trying my hardest not to dwell in the negative. Here's some more of what I've been reading.


Sister Circle by Cheryle T. Ricks
A self-help book
2 STAR RATING

I picked up this book on the strong suggestion from the author herself. She is using the library where I work at to hold a program based off her self help book. It's a very quick read, it can easily be read in a day. I'm not very religious so I didn't relate to the parts about God, which is the base and majority of the book. But some very valid points were made and I found some good advice that I'll try to incorporate into my everyday life.






The Blob that Ate Everything by R.L. Stine

55th book in the original Goosebumps series
4 STAR RATING

The Blob That Ate Everyone (Goosebumps, #55)lol Okay that ending was too funny. It's a stupid and lazy switcheroo but one that I laughed at. This is why you need to be careful with what you write. Words have power, and all that jazz. And strangely, the cover makes me crave bubblegum.









Blueprints for Building Better Girls by Elissa Schappell

A collection of connected short stories
4 STAR RATING

Blueprints for Building Better Girls: FictionThis is not a book that will put you in a good mood. It's mostly sad. There aren't many characters that I actually like in these short stories. Everyone is an asshole by some degree. I liked how the stories loosely connected to each other. It gave the opportunity for the reader to see different prospective on one character. And I know it wasn't just me, this book will make you feel some way towards men. Mainly aggravated. It drove home the fact that life is all about give and take, with you giving a bunch but not really receiving anything good.









For the Love of a Vampire by M. Leighton
A vampire romance young adult e-book
1 STAR RATING
For the Love of a Vampire (Blood Like Poison, #1)

This was one of the first books to be recommended to me on Goodreads when I joined the site. And 19 year old me would have probably loved this book. The instant love, the hint of sexual tension, the cliffhanger. It was a recipe for a favorite book. But now? I was just mostly irritated by the whole thing. I'm glad I didn't have to pay to read this an e-book. That would have sent me right over the edge. While there were some good fight scenes and the chemistry between the two leads was cute, I still didn't like this book at all. Whether or not the mystery will be solved doesn't concern me.







The PluckerThe Plucker by Brom
A dark fantasy novel with illustrations by the author
4 STAR RATING

This is a great dark fantasy read. The art matches the tone of this short story. At around 150 pages, it's a perfect daytime book. And you'll want to read this in the light, since there are some horror themed scenes. I didn't actually scare me bur I was still freaked out a bit. The ending was bittersweet but that's the norm with horror stories. I'd be willing to read more from this author. No matter how dark and twisted the story gets.










No comments:

Post a Comment