Powered By Blogger

Saturday, October 15, 2016

Reading for Pleasure

Now that I have completed my year end goal, I can just relax and read what I want...JK. I am still a stressed out bibliophile who has other challenges and obligations to finish. But these books on this post were read only because I wanted to. I reread some of my old favorites and graphic novels that I hadn't before.

Pleasures of the Night by Sylvia Day
The first book in the erotic Dream Guardians series
REREAD
OLD FAVORITE
5 STAR RATING

Pleasures of the Night (Dream Guardians, #1)Yep, this book is still awesome. I'm pretty sure this is the first book I've ever read by Sylvia Day and it started a long lasting relationship. It's a great blend of romance and erotica. 
Lyssa and Aidan are the perfect couple. They have an instant connection that's explained away by mind reading and mind blowing sex. Speaking of, the sex scenes are hot. I'm not a fan of the word cock but that's a minor flaw to deal with for these steamy scenes. The ending leaves it open for a second book, which I enjoyed as well. If Day ever decides to write the third book in this trilogy, I'll be one of the first people in line to get a copy.










Stuck in the Middle by Ariel Schrag
A collection of comics about the awkward pre-teen years
3 STAR RATING

Stuck in the Middle: 17 Comics from an Unpleasant AgeThe first couple of comics left a bad taste but after a rough beginning, I really enjoyed reading this book. It's overwhelmingly relatable. Middle school is easily more awkward and awful than high school, in my opinion. These collection of stories captures that tween state well. 
I liked the comics that ended on a hopeful note more than the ones that had no real resolution. It made sense for an open ended conclusion with some of the stories, seeing as they had no lessons or point to make. But they left me feeling a bit sad. Either way, this is a good book for anyone out of high school. It'll bring back memories, good and bad.











3 Brides for 3 Bad Boys by Lucy Monroe
Short stories about the brothers finding love and marriage
REREAD
OLD FAVORITE
5 STAR RATING

3 Brides for 3 Bad Boys (Mercenary/Goddard Project, #2)
I was going back and forth on taking a star away from this book but I've decided to keep it at 5 stars. I remember being totally in love with the holy trinity of romance authors; Lucy Monroe, Erin McCarthy and Lori Foster. I devoured every book they library had by them. This book was at the top of that pile.
It's about a group of brothers who quickly find themselves married. Since each brother has a short story, the romance and happy endings are rushed and underdeveloped. But I still thoroughly enjoyed them. The couples are all sweet and endearing. One change is which story is my favorite. When I first read this book, I loved Colton's story. The one night stand and Vegas setting appealed to my young teenage mind. But now that I'm older, I really like Rand's story. Phoebe is the woman I could most relate to. I feel like their chemistry was the most genuine.







Assassination Classroom Vol 8, 9, 10 by Yusei Matsui

5 STAR RATING

Assassination Classroom, Vol. 8: Time for an OpportunityThat last panel made me squeal with joy. This book was so good. It was the best volume to come back to after my reading hiatus from the series. The "lessons" from Koro Sensei are always so uplifting, though his teaching techniques leave me feeling stressed. 
Class 3-E are trying to figure out the mystery of who poisoned them and why. The students who weren't infected take charge and go to meet the foe. It's almost like a video game with how they have to take out bosses to get to the final level. The fact that Nagisa is dressed as a girl is a plus. He's just so darn cute. But shit gets real when the finally get see who's been causing all this trouble. I was pleasantly surprised with the maniac reveal. I just hope Nagisa kicks his ass in the next volume.














4 STAR RATING

Assassination Classroom, Vol. 9: A Shocking TimeI don't have too much to say about this volume. Nothing major happens, except in the beginning with the battle with Nagisa. He is such a bad ass. I think he's my favorite character. He has a swag to him that I adore. The fact that he can pass as a girl cracks me up every time. 
With this being a filler book to the series, I could just sit back and enjoy a slow read since I wasn't excited and falling out of my chair while reading. I liked that a student had the opportunity to leave the class and ended up learning the value of friendship and studying and blah blah blah. Koro Sensei is too good a teacher to pass up on. Even though he is planning on destroying the world if someone doesn't kill him first.















3 STAR RATING

Assassination Classroom, Vol. 10I'm not gonna lie, I was a bit bored with this book. The rainbow cover is eye catching though. I just wanted more. Itona had a little back story which I appreciated. He's finally just a student now, still very much intent on killing Koro Sensei. And that foreboding ending with Nagisa had me on edge. They better not mess with my baby.





No comments:

Post a Comment