Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Catastrophic Classic

This past week fared better for me with reading. Granted, three out of the four books were graphic novels but whatever. I don't discriminate with what catches my eye. I'll read any book that grabs my attention.


The Killing Joke by Alan Moore
3 STAR RATING

Batman: The Killing JokeThis was one of those classic comics that I knew existed but had never read before. I actually saw the film before reading the graphic novel. The movie was a let down but the book holds up way better. It's a slice of life in the ongoing feud between the Joker and Batman. Batman thinks the end of their fight will end up with one of them dead. The Joker doesn't seem to mind that outcome. He's just determined to show that all it takes is one bad day to drive someone mad. Hence, him shooting Barbara Gordon in the spine and taking lewd pictures of her to show Commissioner Gordon. It almost works. But the roughened cop doesn't crack and wants him brought in by the book. It makes for a lackluster ending but I still enjoyed it.











Sunstone Vol 5 by Stjepan Sejic
5 STAR RATING

Sunstone, Vol. 5

This conclusive volume was definitely the most cheesiest and sappiest of the series. The author takes us through the somewhat long and tedious road of Ally's and Lisa's reconciliation. You know it's coming since it's revealed they are married in an earlier volume but I kinda felt this book was dragging its feet to get there. I still loved every bit of it. The visual art accompanied by their angst made me feel for them. It's just beautiful all around. But the highlight of this novel is the little hints of the next story arc, Mercy. I am too excited and thrilled for Alan and Anne's story. The few scenes they've had together have been steamy. I WANT MORE DAMN IT. I can't believe I have to wait. This is gonna take forever.











Spider-Man/Deadpool Vol 1: Isn't it Bromantic by Joe Kelly
4 STAR RATING

Spider-Man/Deadpool, Vol. 1: Isn't it BromanticWade Wilson just wants to prove to Spider-Man that he's changed. He's no longer a killer for hire...except when he's hired to take out Peter Parker. This is obviously a dilemma, with Spider-Man being his superhero alter ego. This series is one of the funniest comics I've read. It overshadows the action and overall plot but I still like it. I couldn't tell you who the bad guys are. All I know is that I want more quips and possibly a kiss between our two leading men.
















The Cather in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
2 STAR RATING

The Catcher in the RyeHow in the hell is this book considered a classic? If I had to read this for school, I'd be bored outta my mind. Holden Caufield is a unlikable jerk who lies for no reason and plays games just because he had nothing better to do. I dragged my feet completing this novel. It's the embodiment of annoyance. The only tolerable part was Holden's little sister, Phoebe. She's so cute and spazzy and energetic. I'd read a book from her POV about her high school shenanigans.






















No comments:

Post a Comment