Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Children books count

I always hear from other avid readers that books for young children shouldn't count towards my overall goal of books read. I say bullshit to that. A book is a book. I don't care if it has lots of words or only pictures. If I read it, listened to it, interpreted pictures, it all counts. But to appease the haters, I also read a Stephen King e-book. I had a little thriller with my children's books.


My Best Friend is Invisible by R.L. Stine
57th Goosebumps book
1 STAR RATING

My Best Friend Is Invisible (Goosebumps, #57)I felt like this book was just lazy writing. Maybe Stine was on a deadline and had to just squeeze out a semblance of an engaging book. The twist was boring. I couldn't even fake laugh at it. The invisible best friend was obnoxious and annoying, even by Goosebumps standards. I hope the next book is better than this mess.










They All Saw a Cat by Brendan Wenzel
4 STAR RATING

28101612I was processing this book at the library and I just had to read it. I'm a bit of a cat lady, even have the tattoo to prove it. I don't know exactly what I was expecting form the title but what I got was a creative book on perspective. This concept will most likely go over the heads of the children reading the book but it's an important topic for them to know. A person or thing may look one way to you but completely different to another person. The drawings are cute and funny, especially for how the mouse sees the cat. I'd recommend this book for story time, kids around 4-6. 




The Dead Zone by Stephen King
3 STAR RATING

The Dead ZoneWhen I hear the name Stephen King, I think horror. I think scary. This was mild. It was more of a thriller than anything. A very good thriller but not as compelling as I hoped it would be. John Smith is the protagonist. He wakes up from a four year coma to discover he has the power to see into people's past or futures. He always had a special gift about him since an accident he had as a child. Now it's not something he can ignore. I'll be honest. I heavily skimmed the story towards the end. It got confusing with the writing style; switching between letters, regular narration, and court manuscripts. My favorite parts were the interactions with John and Sarah. I was rooting for them until the very end.








No comments:

Post a Comment