Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Highly Recommended

Most of the books I've read have been great. This has probably been the best week of reading I've had all year.

Assassination Classroom Vol 14 by Yusei Matsui
4 STAR RATING

Assassination Classroom, Vol. 14The school principal has always been the bad guy in this story for me. He's just a total dick and I love when class E puts him in his place. In this book, they were a little too effective. The principal promptly loses his shit when class E ranks in the top 50 after the final exams. He tries to kill Koro Sensei but is instead face with his own mortality. I wouldn't be against him dying but I doubt it. This reeks of a redemption story.









Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
REREAD
5 STAR RATING

Ready Player OneI found this title on an article titled "The best audio books to listen to" on Buzzfeed. Since I'm trying to expand my reading experiences this year, I decided to tackle the list, one by one. I was so excited to reread this book because I felt that my novel reading was a bit lackluster. This is definitely a book to listen to. Wil Wheaton does a great job taking you on a 80s filled adventure. His voice is amazing. I was transfixed. This also marks the first time I was able to read on my daily commute, since reading on the bus gives me motion sickness. I'm giving this book an extra star for making me laugh and smile more than I ever have while going to work.












Life on Mars by Jon Agree
4 STAR RATING

Life on Mars
The last picture made me laugh out loud. This is such a cute book for a parent to read to their child. The art is simple and and so the story, in the best way possible.













Rani Patel in Full Effect by Sonia Patel
3 STAR RATING

Rani Patel in Full EffectI wanted to give this book 4 stars but it didn't impress/entertain me as much I thought it was going to. The pacing was a little off for me and I couldn't tell what this book wanted to convey. It does capture a unique protagonist and does not fall into the trope of cookie cutter female lead. Rani is her own person with some serious flaw; flaws that kept me from completely liking her. She goes through a lot of abuse, both physical and emotional. If you have issues reading about SPOILER molestation and rape SPOILER, avoid this book. It can be very triggering, as it was for me. It's still well written and a decent debut for the author. Plus, the cover is so dope. It's what made me wanna read the book.














Big Cat, Little CatBig Cat, Little Cat by Elisha Cooper
4 STAR RATING


Warning: do not read this book to inquisitive children who you have not had the death talk with yet. Because unexpectedly, this book deals with that sad fact of life and it hit me right in the face. I always read the new picture books at my library if the title or subject interest me. With this being about cats, it was a no-brainer that I would love this book. But then shit got real and now I'm sad. Tears actually welled up when the big cat went away and didn't come back. It's still a cute story though, just maybe not for a story time.



I Woke Up Dead at the MallI Woke Up Dead at the Mall by Judy Sheehan
3 STAR RATING


This book is not well written. It's juvenile and could have greatly benefited from a more fleshed out plot. But I still liked it a lot. You won't be taken by surprise or very intrigued by the book but it's perfect for passing the time. It's the equivalent to watching TV without the sound on. You're not paying much attention but you still understand what's going on.














Deep Trouble II by R.L. Stine
2 STAR RATING

Deep Trouble II (Goosebumps, #58)I really liked the first Deep Trouble but this one was just flat. It's not a well known story from the series. So it makes no sense to give it a sequel. The kids were annoying and the drama was not thrilling. It wasn't even so stupid it was entertaining. I breezed through this book on my lunch break and am already forgetting about it.















No comments:

Post a Comment