Powered By Blogger

Monday, December 4, 2017

One More Month

There are less than 4 weeks left in the year and I am doing well with my books. I'm reading sometimes 3 books at a time: with audio, e-books, and hardbacks. It gets a bit confusing but it keeps my mind occupied. 


Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys
4 STAR RATING

Salt to the SeaObviously, avoid this book if you don't like reading books that'll make you cry. It's a tough subject but very well written. Sepetys does a great job of drawing you into the story and keeping you engaged the entire time. She doesn't take too much time to build the setting since it's historical fiction. The first four chapters give a small glimpse into the characters' mind. And it alternates from their POVs. I am not the hugest fan of historical fiction but I really liked this book. I've heard good things about the audio so I'd recommend that over the hardback.






The Sexy Librarian by Nicolette Dane
2 STAR RATING

The Sexy LibrarianI'm not sure how I stumbled across this book but since it was free, I quickly downloaded it. The beginning was very cute. I liked Amelia and her inner dialogue. The sexy librarian in question, Esme, was not as likable. I knew right away she had made copies of the unpublished novella being held at the library. I was expecting a bit more drama from that situation. But this is a short story. So they live happily ever after. I just wasn't amused by their relationship or entertained much by the sex scenes.







American Gods by Neil Gaiman
2 STAR RATING

American Gods
Good Lord, this book almost put me to sleep several times. I am a fan of the show adaptation so I thought I'd enjoy the book since it's (usually) better. But this time, the tv show got it right. If the pacing on the show is slow, then the pacing in the novel is nonexistent. I just kept waiting for something to happen. The ending and the Coming to America stories saved the reading experience for me. Neil Gaiman read the Coming to America parts and his voice is lovely. I was very impressed with the entire cast of voice actors. They fit their characters well. I just couldn't stand all the talking and thinking and nonevents that surrounded the few events that took place.

The stand out god for me Horus. His "mad" voice was hilarious and confusingly sexy to me. I wish he were in the book more than he was. And that bonus story with Shadow and Jesus that Gaiman took out was great. Jesus had such a calmness to him. I'm eager to see how the show will adapt the book for season two. Here's hoping it'll be a bit more action packed. 







Soul Eater by Atsushi Ohkubo

vol 11
4 STAR RATING

Great battle scene with Maka and Soul. They are so great together. I welcomed Black Star's absence. He's the weak link in the story for me. Crona has run away but I hope they come back soon. The hidden witches in Death City were sold out by Medusa who's now locked in DWMA's dungeon. Obviously, no one trusts her. But she just gave up Arachne's stronghold location so let's see what comes from that.

vol 12
4 STAR RATING

They just gonna stab my boy Ox like that?! I will not stand for this. Kim and Jackie better get their heads right before coming back to DWMA. I get that they're brainwashed but you can't go around stabbing my favorite characters. And speaking of the total opposite of that, Black Star shows up at the very end. He's such a dick, tripping all the alarms and possibly ruining the plan. If he gets his ass kicked next volume, I will not be complaining.


Soul Eater, Vol. 11 (Soul Eater, #11)Soul Eater, Vol. 12 (Soul Eater, #12)


Meddling Kids by Edgar Cantero
3 STAR RATING

Meddling KidsI've finally finished this book after starting it more than a month ago. Hell, I even let someone else borrow my copy and they read it before me. I just couldn't get completely lost on reading this one. The writing style was funny and very meta. The book is fully self aware that someone is reading it. The characters were all unique enough. Andy and Tim were the stand out favorites for me. Even though Tim's a dog, he's got more charisma than the whole roster of people in this story put together. The ending was the highlight of my reading experience. I wish the rest of the book had been as exciting.
Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut Jr
4 STAR RATING

Slaughterhouse FiveI was a little lost at times but I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Listening to the audio version made the story even weirder. Ethan Hawke did an excellent job. His voice was so smooth and hypnotizing. The actual plot of hard to explain to someone. The only thing I can say is just read it if you're looking for a strange read. It''l keep your interest the whole time and it'll be over fairly quickly.

To Italy with Love by Fiona Zedde
4 STAR RATING

To Italy with LoveThis book is a roller-coaster ride. With every story, the plot becomes crazier and more thrilling. The first story is the longest and the most frustrating. I did not like Chrisanne as the love interest and thought Iris deserved way better than her. Hot sex does not equal a functioning relationship. Which brings us to the second Story. When people are having sex surrounded by people they just killed, it's not every sexy to me lol. And then the final story just took me out of the reading experience. I was laughing at how ridiculous the tone was and at the plot itself. But despite all that, I had a great time reading this book. It's totally unique and I'll never forget about it.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander
5 STAR RATING

The illustrations just make me love the book even more. Now you have a visual for each and every creature.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Illustrated Edition

No comments:

Post a Comment