Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Damn good stuff, sir

I rarely add new books to my exclusive favorite shelf but the book I just finished is an obvious exception. Everything was perfect: the writing, characterization, plot. I mean it had it going on. If only I could say the same for all the other books I've been reading lately. Some were okay and some were even great, but none stole my heart like P.S. I still love you.

Ice Kissed by Amanda Hocking
The second novel of the Kanin Chronicles
4 STAR RATING

Holy cow. That ending was not what I expected at all. It was definitely an improvement from the first novel. This cliff hanger leaves you feeling a bit heartbroken and excited to read more. Having him show up at the end after everything Bryn went through was genius. I can't express enough how mad I am that I have to wait for the third novel. It'll be agony to wait to see how the King and Queen are going to deal with the fallout and what it means for Bryn. And honestly, I've completely forgotten that Viktor is the bad guy here. There is obviously so much more going on that he's not in the forefront of my mind. Here's hoping he comes back in the next book with a vengeance.

Attack of the Jack-O'-Lanterns by R.L. Stine
The 48th book of the original Goosebumps series
2 STAR RATING

lol Really? Two of the kids aren't even human? This book was just ridiculous. Funny but stupid.

Whispers at Moonrise by C.C. Hunter
The fourth book of the Shadow Falls series
4 STAR RATING

** SPOILER ALERT FOR THE WHOLE REVIEW ** I mean, these books just keep getting better and better. The writing is quick paced and addictive. The characters are lovable (except Lucas. God, he's so aggravating!). The endings always leave you wanting more, specially this one. I can't believe Kylie is deciding to leave Shadow Falls. I know she was thinking about it throughout the whole book but Lucas' dumbass pushed her over the edge. I HOPE she decides to give Derek another try because I'm officially over him and his werewolf pack. I hope the new characters Hunter is about to introduce are just as great as the originals. I don't have time to be dealing with boring people when the action is getting good.

Saved at Sunrise by C.C. Hunter
A novella to the Shadow Falls series about DellaTsang
4 STAR RATING

I just love Della's side stories. She's my favorite of Kylie's best friends and I would read a full length novel if Hunter decided to write it. The romance between her and Steve is so cute. I'm hoping they finally get together in the last book of the series.

An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
A slave and a soldier both try to break free from brutal world inspired by Ancient Greece
2 STAR RATING

I really hate being disappointed. Especially by a book that I'm sure I'll fall in love with. But no, I had to get my hopes up for nothing. From the very first chapter, I was annoyed with Laia. She weak, whiny, and totally incompetent. Elias is no better. I have never read from more wishy-washy protagonists before. It got to the point that I wished they were real people so I could walk up to them and punch them in the face. Now the setting blinded me from the stupidity for the most part. It had real potential to be amazing but the dumb characters got in the way. I won't be reading anymore from this series. I hope it gets better but I've had my full of it.

P.S. I still love you by Jenny Han
The companion novel to To All the Boys I've Loved Before
5 STAR RATING
NEW FAVORITE

GAH!!!! I am so conflicted. I totally wanted her to end up with the other guy. But I liked each love interest and I'm happy either way. I just loved Lara jean in the book. She definitely matured from the first novel. Love and heartache will do that to a girl. But this time, she was the one in charge. I hope Han decides to write another book for this series because I'm not satisfied at all. I NEED MORE! It was just getting good at the end too.


Ice KissedAttack Of The Jack-O'-lanterns (Goosebumps, #48)Whispers at Moonrise (Shadow Falls, #4)Saved at Sunrise (Shadow Falls, #4.5)An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1)P.S. I Still Love You (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #2)

No comments:

Post a Comment