Powered By Blogger

Monday, August 10, 2015

End of Summer Reading 2015

I read 41 books this summer for my local library. That's no number of books to sneer at either. Mind you, some were children's books or graphic novels. But a book is a book is a book. I really hope I win this year. The prize for staff members is a vacation day which would be MUCH APPRECIATED.

Hera: the Goddess and her Glory by George O'Connor
Volume three of the Olympians series
4 STAR RATING

I was expecting a totally different book with Hera as the title character. She's always depicted as a raging bitch. But with Zeus as her husband, who can blame her? I get that she can't directly retaliate against him but I always felt bad about the women and children who were on the wrong side of Hera's wrath. She's a bit of a doozy and scary as hell. But O'Connor showed her in a different light. She's just a wife who's tired of her cheating husband. She's gotta do something to take the edge off. And she's not all bad. I just wish the book had focused more on her and not Heracles. I get that he's a big part of her myth but he could have gotten his own book for all that.

Hades: Lord of the Dead by George O'Connor
Volume four of the Olympians series
4 STAR RATING

These just keep getting better and better. I was expecting the focus to be on Hades. But with Hera turning out the way it did, I shouldn't be surprised that the focus was shifted a bit and Persephone was the lead character. It's true that you don't really hear anything about her except she was kidnapped and married off to Hades. This book gives a different perspective on that. It's possible that she actually wanted to stay there with her hubby, that she liked him enough to want to rule the Underworld.

Poseidon: Earth Shaker by George O'Connor
Volume five of the Olympians series
5 STAR RATING

This one has to get 5 stars. The last few pages of his story are so beautifully told and drawn, I had it give it the golden rating. It's almost heartbreaking when to read this entire life he thought he lived, only for it to be revealed that it was a dream. It's makes him a more relatable character. that's not to say he's likable. He's a grade A asshole and so are most of his offspring. But O'Connor got under my skin and that's why so far, this is my favorite of the Olympians series.

Aphrodite: Goddess of Love by George O'Connor
Volume six of the Olympians series
3 STAR RATING

No matter what retelling of Aphrodite I come across, I still don't like her at all. She's such a little bitch. She has her moments of decency but for the most part, she's an egotistical maniac. I honestly think she's even worse the Zeus. I still liked the story and art and all that, but i couldn't help but wish that some other god/goddess had taken the spotlight for this volume of the series. Literally anyone else who have been more tolerable than Aphrodite.

Soul Eater Vol 1 by Atsushi Ohkubo
Maka and other weapon meisters must collect 100 souls to become death's ultimate weapon
4 STAR RATING

Aaaaaand I've started yet another graphic novel series. This is what happens when I have no books that I already want to read around to distract me. I pick up more to fill the void. I always need a book near me that I'm currently reading or about to start reading. When I don't, shit like this happens. Now I'm addicted to this awesome story and I need more!

Ares: Bringer of War by George O'Connor
Volume seven of the Olympians series
4 STAR RATING

Ares doesn't really shine the brightest in this story but he does get the best comeback line to Zeus at the end. Everyone in this story isn't very likable, least of all Ares. But you can kind of see where he's coming from and are mostly on his side by the end of the war.

Calling All Creeps! by R.L. Stine
50th book of the original Goosebumps series
3 STAR RATING

lololol That ending was horrible for all those bullies and mean spirited kids. Obviously Ricky comes out on top in that scenario. This is why you don't treat people like crap, you never know when the tables will turn.

Jason & Kyra by Dana Davidson
A popular jock and the school's brain fall in love
5 STAR RATING
OLD FAVORITE
REREAD

This is just the perfect teenage love story. Even after all of these years, it still holds up to the test of time.

Played by Dana Davidson
Ian must get Kylie to fall in love with him and more in three weeks
5 STAR RATING
OLD FAVORITE
REREAD

This one doesn't tug on my heart strings like Jason & Kyra does but it's still a favorite of mine. The main characters are both idiotic and annoying at times but by the end, you can't help but hope for them to be together. Although if this were me, I'd have been done with Ian's trifling ass.

Too Much Temptation by Lori Foster
Grace and Noah have a "sex slave" agreement until they both start feeling more
5 STAR RATING
OLD FAVORITE
REREAD

I love this book so much that I bought a brand new copy off Amazon for $14. FOURTEEN FUCKING DOLLARS! And this book is old as dirt, being published more than 10 years ago. But I still love it and I'd buy the damn thing all over again.


Hera: The Goddess and her Glory (Olympians, #3)Hades: Lord of the Dead (Olympians, #4)Poseidon: Earth Shaker (Olympians, #5)Aphrodite: Goddess of Love (Olympians, #6)Soul Eater, Vol. 01 (Soul Eater, #1)Ares: Bringer of War (Olympians, #7)Calling All Creeps! (Goosebumps, #50)Jason & KyraPlayedToo Much Temptation (Brava Brothers, #1)

No comments:

Post a Comment