Powered By Blogger

Saturday, August 22, 2015

Utter disappointment

I haven't been reading a lot of books lately. And for the most part, the ones I have been reading are just not doing it for me. Some were okay and some were just bad all the way around. I'm itching for a good read right now. I don't wanna end my summer reading on a bad note.

Sabriel by Garth Nix
Sabriel, a necromancer, must go into the Old Kingdom to save her father from evil forces
2 STAR RATING
REREAD

UPDATED 8/12/15

I really tried this time. I let my old disinterest go, started anew, and was still highly disappointed. There were really good action scenes and had so much potential to be more. I just found it completely lacking. Most of the characters were bland and the interesting ones didn't have enough page time to shine. The ending was stupid and I didn't like Sabriel's POV. It would have been better to have a narrator. And I know this is typically the kind of book I devour and love but not this time. 

DNF at 19%

This book had too many words and too small a font to grab my attention. I'm rarely that bored when I don't even finish a book, especially a book club pick. But I had to put this down; I have other stuff that will surely entertain me.


Chosen at Nightfall by C.C. Hunter
The final novel of the Shadow Falls series
5 STAR RATING

This series has been a pleasant surprise. I didn't think I'd like it, let alone love it but I do. It's just everything I want in a young adult paranormal romance series. You have the believable love triangle that doesn't make you wanna rip your hair out. You have a naive yet likable heroine who grows into her powers and become a bad ass. You have the funny sidekick best friends who are your comic relief. And then you have the best drama/bad guys for the protagonist to deal with. It's just been awesome to read about Kylie's journey and I am beyond satisfied with her conclusion. 

The 100 by Kass Morgan
100 juvenile prisoners are sent to see if planet Earth is safe for rehabilitation 
3 STAR RATING

It's annoying how the author left me hanging at the end. I'm not a fan of cliff hangers and this novel leaves me hanging with three different characters. Me no likey. But other than that, I liked this book. It makes me wanna give the T.V. show another try. I can only hope that Morgan's writing gets better with the next book in the series. It was a bit boring here but I saw potential for improvement.

The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson
The first novel of the Remnant Chronicles
2 STAR RATING

Okay, this book pulled a dirty trick on me. Literally, the first 400 pages were a mess. The writing was fine and the story had potential. But Pearson really dropped the ball on interesting story telling. I mean, NOTHING HAPPENS! The main character gets things started off with a runaway bride move. And then...nothing. It's pages and pages of nothing. Until she's kidnapped. Am I spoiling the book? It doesn't even feel like a spoiler because it's the only thing worth knowing about the book. What's really pissing me off is that those last few pages were amazing. Great character development, heartbreaking scenes, a hint of fantasy. It had it all. It was just too late in the game to really matter. I thought about giving this series a try. And in the future, I might end up reading the second novel anyway. But for now, I'm putting this series on the back shelf and forgetting about it.

Sabriel (Abhorsen, #1)Chosen at Nightfall (Shadow Falls, #5)The 100 (The Hundred, #1)The Kiss of Deception (The Remnant Chronicles, #1)


No comments:

Post a Comment