Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Average Reads

I'm on another vacation (thank you Jesus) but I didn't really bring anything to read with me. Shocker, I know. I'm usually toting around multiple books so that I don't run into the dreaded situation of having nothing to read. Thankfully, I was smart enough to bring my Kindle with me. So now that I'm finished with my lone novel (graphic at that), I can read some of these e-books that have been collecting symbolic dust while on the shelf.


Dumplin' by Julie Murphy
2 STAR RATING

Great cover, great premise, mediocre delivery. I found myself sighing a lot while reading this, giving Willowdean a run for her money. I was completely exasperated with her. She was not a likable character. I couldn't find it in me to root for her at all. She was a shitty friend for the majority of the book and only comes to her senses at the very end. I couldn't see why anyone would like her, let alone two guys. I was hoping to find a kindred spirit in Will but was only let down. I hate how disappointed I am with this novel. 


The Awakening by L.A. Banks
3 STAR RATING
BOOK CLUB READ

The dialogue is so damn distracting but I really like the story. I didn't like this book as much as the first one but it did wonderful things with progressing the story. I found myself overwhelmed with all the characters, which I still love. They just were kinda all over the place. Damali and Carlos are obviously the clear stars in this series. The tension and chemistry between them is glorious. I can't wait to see them seal the deal.


This One Summer by Jillian and Mariko Tamaki
3 STAR RATING

I was a bit nervous reading this one. I had read some reviews that left me feeling like I was bound for disappointment. I'm glad I decided to still give it a chance because I liked it way more than I thought I would. It's not really a coming of age story. It's just a look into a summer for Windy and Rose, mostly for Rose. I was way more interested in Windy but alas, Rose is deemed the protagonist for this graphic novel. I didn't find her to be very likable or relatable but I could understand where she was coming from. She's a young girl that's starting to deal with more adult themes in her life and is dealing with them to best way possible. The story was a bit bland but the art definitely saves this book. It's beyond anything I was expecting or could have hoped for. I'd recommend this novel just for the visual aspects.




No comments:

Post a Comment