Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Blown Away

I haven't done a non-themed blog post in a while so here it is, long overdue. If it's not for a challenge or book club, I've mostly been reading multiple series that I'm trying for wrap up. It's hard when I get easily distracted by other, newer novels. And being a part of three separate book clubs is finally catching up to me. I can't read them all and read my other side books. When it comes to reading, I'm a free agent. You can't tie me down. 
Chicken Chicken (Goosebumps, #53)

Chicken Chicken by R.L. Stine
Book # 53 of the original Goosebumps series
2 STAR RATING

This was such a filler book for the series. It felt like it had been written in a hurry. And that ending was more annoying than anything. You just got changed back, why would you go and be rude again? The cover is hilarious though. It makes me think of chicken nuggets for some reason lol

Happily Ever AfterHappily Ever After by Elizabeth Maxwell
BOOK CLUB READ
4 STAR RATING

Okay, that was awesome! I wasn't really sure what this book was about so I wasn't jumping at the chance to read it. I feel like that worked in my favor. The surprise fantasy quality of the novel really hooked me in. I was not expecting Sadie's characters to actually come to life. Everyone was expertly written and my only complaint was that this book was not longer. I wanted more Greta. Seriously, that housekeeper needs her own spin off. I have high hopes for Maxwell's next book. For a debut novel, this one was damn near perfect.

The Hunted (Vampire Huntress Legend, #3)The Hunted by L.A. Banks
Book #3 of the Vampire Huntress Legend series
BOOK CLUB READ
3 STAR RATING

At this point, I feel like the series is all over the place. Damali and Carlos got crap piled on top of crap that they have to deal with. And this book was packed to the brim. There was no reason for the novel to be over 400 pages. Most of it was filler and unnecessary. The saving grace of this one is the connection between Damali and Carlos. When they finally got it on, I was DONE. I literally screamed with glee. I hope I see more of them together than apart on future books from the series. And that the drama is toned down just a little. 

Deadman Wonderland Vol 12 by Jinsei Kataoka
5 STAR RATING

Deadman Wonderland, Vol. 12I'm almost at the end but I feel like I still have too many questions and not enough answers. But the bonus stories were really cute so I had to give this volume 5 stars. I'm still holding out hope that Shiro and Ganta will have their happy endings. I hope everyone will make it to the end too. I don't want any more killings except Toto's. He needs to get got.







The Invisibles by Cecilia Galante
3 STAR RATING

The InvisiblesThis book is the complete definition of a filler read. I enjoyed it throughout but it will quickly fade from my memory and I will be hard pressed to recall ever reading this novel. Chick lit just rarely does it for me. It's sappy and melodramatic. It has the potential to be great but then falls short. The emotional ending of the story turned me off. I was riding high with the drama of these old friends reuniting but was left unsatisfied for the finale. I could relate to some of their issues but I was mostly annoyed. I'm still glad I gave this book a chance. Now on to better reads, hopefully.


Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1)
Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
NEW FAVORITE
BOOK CLUB READ
5 STAR RATING

This book is in a league of its own. It's damn near perfect. It was confusing at times and sometimes hurt my eyes with the writing style, but I loved every bit of it. I'm still not sure what this book is exactly about but I know I want more of it. Ezra, Kady, and AIDAN. were just awesome. You don't get much of Ezra but he's a strong presence. He's a lovable goofball and I'm happy that SPOILER he didn't die like AIDAN told Kady he had. I was devastated when I read that. I actually teared up a bit. SPOILER Kady was annoying but the final showdown definitely had me rooting for her. AIDAN was the anti-hero and I still don't know how I feel about him...it...whatever. All I know is that I am beyond excited for the next book.


No comments:

Post a Comment