Powered By Blogger

Monday, March 28, 2016

Reading Challenge 2016 #3

March had a great challenge, in my opinion. The goal was to read a novel with a color in the title. Again, Goodreads had a list already prepared for me to choose from. I was pleasantly surprised to see that A Clockwork Orange was very high on the list and already on my to-read list.

I was nervous starting it because of the slang and almost listened to it on audio instead. But after the first chapter, it became very easy to read. My friend had an easier time reading his book. He finished it way before I finished mine. His choice was actually a double entry, with Laura Lippman being a Maryland author (January's challenge). He had never completely finished Americanah so he had a debt to settle.

BLUE

Baltimore Blues (Tess Monaghan #1)At first it was interesting to see Baltimore through the eyes of someone whose relationship to the city is different than mine. Evidently the grit, grime and violence are not seen any differently by those who live in the other shade of Baltimore, points for keeping it authentic and not nostalgic. Laura Lippman earns few more points for weaving an interesting story together using a thread of a sport rarely encountered by the broader society. 

The wrap up at the end is where I was lost. The red herrings were cleaver. The balance between investigation and luck was believable. In the end the neat bow with which the story was wrapped up was too tidy, to circumstantial to avoid a fairy tale “happily ever after”-esque , saccharine after taste.





A Clockwork OrangeORANGE

I have read the always missing 21st chapter. And I am glad to say, it doesn't change my opinion of the movie. I'm glad we got the bleak and depressing ending. But I will say that I loved the real ending for Alex's story. It almost made me uncomfortable, feeling empathy for such a fucked up delinquent. It raises the question, "Does everyone deserve a second chance?" I would have liked to say no but Burgess expertly described Alex in a way that makes you feel for him. Not during his ultra-violence moments, obviously. It came across as a lost child who didn't really know what he wanted out of life. And that is something I can relate to.











No comments:

Post a Comment