Powered By Blogger

Saturday, March 5, 2016

Reading Challenge 2016 #2

February's challenge was to read a book that was published the same year you were born. Goodreads came right to the rescue with their lists. All I had to do was Google books published in 1992 and viola, a list was provided for me to choose from. And wouldn't you know, Along Came a Spider was on the top. I have had this book on my to read list for years now and now had a valid excuse to read it.

My friend struggled with finding a book to read to complete last month's challenge. So I suggested reading a children's book. To me, a book is a book is a book. I don't care of it's written for a 4 year old or a 24 year old. As long as you read a book that suites the challenge, I say you're golden. So he picked a classic, Strega Nona.

1992

Along Came a Spider (Alex Cross, #1)I really thought I wasn't going to be able to finish this book in a day, but I was determined and now I have accomplished my goal. And what a freaking roller coaster ride it was. I found myself completely bored in the beginning. It was too dark of a start to the series and the tone was overly abrupt. The short chapters were not appealing and I had zero interest in the crimes being committed. But then Patterson hooked me. I can't really tell you exactly when or how he snared me, only that he did. I was skimming heavily to finish this novel for a challenge. I was no longer reading for pleasure but for a deadline. That changed about a third of the way in. I was now speed reading because I couldn't get enough words into my brain. I was genuinely taken by surprise by the twists and turns. The reveals of this sick twisted plot were done brilliantly. The only issue I now have with this book is will I continue with the series. I have high hopes that I'll like it but the slow start has me hesitant to read more. I'll add it to my read list but I am in no hurry to actually do so.


                                                                                                                                            1975


Strega NonaI find few things more pleasurable than sharing a reading experience with my daughters. Strega Nona afforded me that pleasure. Seeing my oldest daughters eyes light up when I presented the book to my youngest was beautiful. Then reading with my 8 year old to my 13 year old who was wrapped with pleasant memories of the story is a memory that I will cherish.  







No comments:

Post a Comment