Powered By Blogger

Monday, June 13, 2016

Overdue Notice Part 2

What does it say that my post about not posting on time was late as well? Sometimes, I make my own head ache. Here's the past due blog about being past due.

Glass Sword (Red Queen, #2)Glass Sword by Victoria Aveyard
The second book of the Red Queen series
4 STAR RATING

That's it, Maven has to die. The ending completely gutted me. I found myself liking Mare a lot more than I did in the first book. So to see her...humiliated hurt me. And Aveyard was not pulling punches when she decided to kill SPOILER Shade like that. SPOILER If I had been sitting down, I would have jumped out of my seat. I'm glad that this series is still enjoyable to read and I look forward to the next book.







The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-TimeThe Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
2 STAR RATING

Sadly, I didn't connect to this book at all. It was just interesting enough to keep me reading but I admit that reading included a lot of skimming. I was bored, plain and simple. That is, until this story quickly dissolved into a soap opera. Dead people were coming back to life, dogs were dying because of jealousy, and people feared for their life. It's like this novel didn't know what it wanted to be so it became everything.







Frindle by Andrew Clements
4 STAR RATING
AUDIO BOOK

FrindleI now have a new go to recommendation for young readers who need a funny, thought provoking novel. Frindle is both simple and complex with its plot and delivery. It shows you that changes begin with just an idea and the willpower to follow through, no matter how small or silly it seems at the time. Nicholas is a great protagonist and I loved the little flash forward at the end of the book so you can see where he ended up in life. This is also an audio book that I didn't hate. The voice actor was perfect for the story and did a great job. So now I'm more willing to listen to more audio books if they are anything like this one, short and sweet.






Corduroy by Don Freeman
CLASSIC
4 STAR RATING

CorduroySo, reading this as an adult is slightly terrifying. All I kept thinking about was being that security guard and seeing a bear in the middle of a bed, not knowing how it got there. For young kids, it's a great book to have for a collection of picture books.



No comments:

Post a Comment