Powered By Blogger

Monday, July 11, 2016

Reading Challenge 2016 #6

I had trouble finishing the book on time, not finding one. There is a plethora of celebrity fiction and nonfiction novels at a reader's disposal. I only had to pick one. I was eager to read Mindy Kaling's new collection of essays. I think my friend took a different approach and picked a quick and easy book to complete the challenge. And after going through my reading woes last month, I'm thinking I should have done the same.



Why Not Me? By Mindy Kaling
Why Not Me?
I was so not in the mood to read. It wasn't anything against this book. I was actually excited to finally read it. But I have been in a literary funk and this took me a long time to finish. I will say that I enjoyed her first collection of essays more. I found them funnier. This book has a heavier tone to it but I think that's a good thing. It shows that Kaling is not a one trick pony.


















The English Roses by Madonna

Ok, I admit it, I took the easy way out. 
I'm not big on biographies and that's what I think of when challenged to read a book by a celebrity. In fact, biography was the primary result when I began my search, that is until I stumbled upon The English Roses by Madonna (can you get more celebrity than her?) 

So, English Roses, cute book. I like the illustrations. How the large eyes and long body lines were used to convey sass, attitude and poshness of the characters which gave voice to the story as much as the writing did. 

I may not know much about pre-teen feminine social construction and navigation, but I feel that it is a much need update to its portrayal. 
I have to admit, I'm not sure what I expected but I am delighted to say that the book was a pleasant surprise.
The English Roses













































No comments:

Post a Comment