Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Losing Streak

The title has nothing to do with the books I've been reading (though there have been few). It's more about my motivation to keep up with this blog and finding time to read books. Depression is a SOB and I am so tired all the time. I hate not wanting to read books but that's what I've been dealing with lately. That's not to say I've been cooped up in my place all day and avoiding people. It's my head that's getting to me. Negative thoughts making me feel like nothing I do will make me feel better, even reading. So I've been trying to combat this head on. I know this probably isn't the right space to talk about these things but...where else am i going to do it? I'll make an effort to be more active on here, if only for myself. I have no idea who reads this thing but to those who do, thanks a lot. It means something to me to have you out there. Now here are a few on the books I've read in the past month. I'll post the rest later.

Spellbound by Sylvia Day
A three-part erotic novella
4 STAR RATING
Spellbound

The last story wasn't doing it for me, especially considering that we don't even get to see Max dominated by Victoria. It was teased and hinted at and then...nothing. But the first two stories were insta-love at its finest. The writing was good and the book short enough for me to forgive a lack of plot though.






Murder with Fried Chicken and Waffles by A.L. Herbert
BOOK CLUB READ
1 STAR RATING

Murder with Fried Chicken and WafflesThe only good thing this book did was make me hungry for waffles. Other than that, this was a huge waste of time. I hated the dialogue, which tries way too hard to cater to black people. This is usually why I avoid urban/African-American novels. I don't know anyone who speaks like these characters so everything sounds fake. Then the characters themselves, that's a whole other issue. I mean, could they be any dumber? The decisions being made by these two grown women concerned me rather than entertained me.











The Forsaken by L.A. Banks
BOOK CLUB READ
7th book in the Vampire Huntress Legend series
5 STAR RATING

The Forsaken (Vampire Huntress Legend, #7)This is definitely my favorite book of the series so far. The introduction of Cain took this story to a whole other level. I was always team Carlos but last book, he fucked up bad. So when Damali was getting seduced by the new big bad, I was all for it. Carlos deserved to feel all the pain he put his woman through. The best scene has to go to Tara though. She told our Neteru some things I've been thinking for a while but she is brutal, fearless, and awesome in her delivery. I hope to see more of her in the next book.










The Memory of Light by Francisco X. Stork
A young adult novel/realistic fiction
5 STAR RATING
NEW FAVORITE

The Memory of LightWords cannot express how much this book resonated with me. From the very first page, I could relate to the story and its characters. It's beautifully written and so realistic. As with any book, there are moments that dialogue doesn't sound natural or a person's reaction will give you pause. But it all made sense for the story that was being told, that I feel like needed to be told. This book is me, it's just a part of me now. The words will tumble in my head for the rest of my life and I'll revisit it like an old friend when in need of understanding and acceptance.









Hoodoo by Ronald L. Smith
A fantasy children's novel
2 STAR RATING

HoodooI really wanted to like this book. It had all the elements for a great, quick read. It's got magic, a black young male protagonist, and is less than 300 pages. But I've struggled these past few days just to finish this book. I was sooooo bored. Nothing was happening! Even the finale was lackluster. The story was too repetitive and dragged out. Sad to say, I won't be recommending this to young readers in my library.













No comments:

Post a Comment