Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Catching Up

No real introduction this time around. I'm just trying to get caught up on everything I haven't posted on here as of late. I'm in the process of reading and reviewing a suspense thriller romance series and I hope to be finished with those soon.

Sweet Little Lies by Jill Shalvis
The first book of the Heartbreaker Bay series
2 STAR RATING

Sweet Little Lies (Heartbreaker Bay, #1)I really liked this book in the beginning but then it turned on me. I kept waiting and waiting for Pru to come clean with Finn but she put it off. She put it off so far that the book was damn near over before she came clean. And by then, the reconciliation felt forced. Finn had every right to feel betrayed and lied to but his friends made it seem like he was being unreasonable. Bullshit on that. I'm not gonna read any more from this series, since I can't trust that the other characters won't be as stupid as these two were.







Assassination Classroom, Vol. 11
Assassination Classroom Vol. 11 by Yusei Matsui
3 STAR RATING


This isn't one of the better volumes of the series. It's a little too heavy handed with lessons and not enough action. But seeing Koro Sensei bitch slap some of the kids was hilarious. I think it's the first time he's been violent towards his students. I actually loved it; it shows a darker side to him that is not always shown.





Zodiac Starforce: By the Power of AstraZodiac Starforce: By the Power of Astra by Kevin Panetta
A graphic novel about a group of young girls with magical powers
3 STAR RATING


This was such a cute book. The colors, the characters, the plot. It was all bubble gum sweet. With this book only containing four chapters, the flow felt a little rushed and underdeveloped. As interested as I was, I noticed I wasn't connected to what the girls had to overcome. I barely grasped how and why they got their powers. 


It was still a nice quick read though. There are worse ways to spend an afternoon. And if I'm being honest, the promise of an interracial lesbian couple was the only reason I borrowed my friend's copy of the book.




Sunstone Vol 1 by Stjepan Sejic
An erotic and humorous graphic novel about two women exploring their kinks
4 STAR RATING


Sunstone Vol. 1Well, hello there gorgeous. How did I not know about you? This is unlike any graphic novel I've ever read before. The erotic ones I have read were manga, only in black and white. This is an American comic so nothing is lost in translation. And the color of the art is amazing.


I'm not ashamed to admit that the sex scenes left me panting. Lisa and Ally are both beautiful women and they're great together. I can't wait to read more about their budding romance.













Tales of the Peculiar by Ransom Riggs
A companion novel for Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children series
4 STAR RATING


Tales of the Peculiar (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children #0.5)It's been years since I read the first book in the series so I was hesitant to pick this book up. But since it's short stories and a prequel of sorts, I felt like I could just enjoy the book without worrying about if I was missing anything. It's written like a companion book for peculiars who want to brush up on some legendary peculiars while also learning life lessons. The lessons were simple and easy to figure out. I would actually argue that this book could be classified as juvenile fiction instead of young adult. It's simplistic style can be appreciated at a younger age.





Futhermore by Tahereh Mafi
A children's fiction book following Alice's magical quest trying to find her father
2 STAR RATING

FurthermoreI was hoping for this book to be amazing; I judged it by its cover. But all I got was a huge pile of disappointment. I think this will be the last I read from this author, at least for a while. I was let down with her Shatter Me series and this stand alone novel did nothing to amuse me. It was a bunch of pretty words that meant nothing. I felt like it was trying too hard to be whimsical and charming which turned me off from the book. And what was with that ending?!?!? It made absolutely no sense and was rushed for no good reason. The author had over 400 pages to set up a finale and she failed miserably.











No comments:

Post a Comment