Powered By Blogger

Saturday, December 31, 2016

Reading Challenge 2016 #11 and #12 COMPLETE

I'M FINALLY DONE. On to the challenges for 2017.

READ A NONFICTION BOOK

Between the World and MeI wanted so much more from this reading experience. I expected to feel a kinship with the author, feel like what he was saying were all the things I've been thinking. And most of what he wrote was engaging and struck a cord with me. It just failed to connect in a meaningful and lasting away. Part of the problem was that I had to stop every other page and pull out a dictionary. It's a good thing to have an expansive vocabulary but I felt it didn't fit with what the book was trying to be. It made me feel mentally fatigued. I just wanted the book to be over. 
















READ A BOOK FROM A YEAR-END BEST OF LIST (from 2009)

Along for the RideI forgot how much I loved Dessen's novels. She is one of the best YA authors ever. Her books just get me. I loved Auden, she's a great protagonist. I related to her struggles of finding a balance between the person she thinks she needs to be and who she actually is. A summer trip to her father's helps her discover a new side to herself. She has to deal with social interactions, a love interest, and her parent's shortcomings all at once. It's a rough adjustment period but Auden holds her own against it all. If Dessen ever wanted to revisit her as an adult, I'd be down to read that. 
























No comments:

Post a Comment